Artist Index

5.2.18

FERRET 3 opens Friday 9 February 6-8pm

FERRET 3 ROOMSHEET

FERRET 3 will be open 11am - 5pm, Friday 9 - Sunday 11 February, showing the work of  Sue Callanan, Damian Dillon, Nicole Ellis, Simone Griffin, Adrian Hall, Barbara Halnan, Laine Hogarty, Fiona Kemp, Raymond Matthews, Alycia Moffat, Louise Morgan, Sarah Newall , Isaac Nixon, Opie, Renay Pepita, Elizabeth Rankin, Ambrose Reisch, Margaret Roberts, Tamsin Salehian, Sandra Smith, Sarah Woodward and Jeff Wood. 



"Coyote - Wein. January, 2018" 

This, for me is an instance of the lived symmetry - of a spontaneous recognition: 
that I was engaging in a dialogue, with a man I had known in 1974, now long deceased; 
while I was watching a video presentation being shown at MOMUK, in Vienna in November, 2017. 

The work I was watching - "I like America and America likes me." 
Was also made by him, May, 1974, either just before my time driving for him or just after. 
The last time I saw him, in Belfast, N.I., late 1974,
Joseph Beuys kissed me on the cheek in farewell, as did Caroline Tisdall.
In sitting with Caroline's footage of him in the René Block, New York loft with the coyote; 
but watching in Vienna - Austria, 37 years later, I became aware of my body - 
mirroring some of his own actions but with my own hat and stick in the small museum viewing cubicle.
I said quietly to Michele Beevors, "I think you should be taking a photograph at this point . . ." 
I heard her move off to do just that, just when I was eye-to-eye with the coyote.
I was aware that Joseph himself had moved out of frame with his felt and stick. 
But he is there nevertheless. As I am yet 74 now - but had then been 37.

AH - Aramoana, Aotearoa. 2018.


L: Louise Morgan; R: Laine Hogarty (ph: Louise Morgan)
Articulate’s FERRET project shows the work of over 60 artists during the 5 weeks from 26 January to 25 February 2018. Each of its five shows is open Friday to Sunday, with Friday night openings on 26 January and 2, 9, 16 and 23 February.

FERRET  3 is the third of its 5 shows. After FERRET 3 ends on Sunday 11 February, half the artists de-install their work, and another 10 artists install to produce FERRET 4 (opening Friday 16 February). These overlapping changeovers continue until FERRET 5 concludes on Sunday 25 February.

FERRET is Articulate's third project that presents the exhibition as a site determined as much by changing artwork as by architecture and location. It does this by intermingling works by two groups of artists each week — incoming artists install in a site shaped partly by works continuing from the previous week and the gaps left by outgoing works. It is planned as a slow progressive artists' dance in which each show is one step, and in which the whole is understood through a mixture of observing and remembering.

Follow the links to documentation of the earlier such projects,  FAIRISLE  and FERAL 1234 and 5.



Sarah Newall | Sandra Smith

Nicole Ellis | Margaret Roberts | Sandra Smith

Damian Dillon

Jeff Wood

Sue Callanan | Simone Griffin | Renay Pepita